Thursday, September 06, 2012

A New Taste of Apple

I have competed 2 times before at the Kelowna Apple Triathlon, but this 3rd time was different because I raced at high noon.  Yes, because I was racing my very first elite race!



Here is how it went:

      - Dead last out of the water (25:00!! My Edmonton ITU swim time was 22:38 on dead legs…hmmm…we’ll have to figure that one out)
      - Alex said that got everyone in my family worried! (Hee hee, my family :)
      - I had been preparing myself this summer for a draft legal cycling race, but I still had to time trial the whole 40km!  I caught a few girls on the bike and excitedly initiated that we work together: so I powered on then when I got tired I looked for the switch but they were nowhere to be seen!  At least it helped me pick up the pace for those laps!
      - On my 2/4 laps on the run I got to run with the lead girl Ellen Pennock.  I let her go but really I should have hung on to her and let her lead me into a good run time.  I denied myself that privilege because while I was on 2/4 laps she was on 3/4, but that was a challenge my mind refused while my body would have been able to respond.

What did I learn:
- Elite racing is TOUGH!
- I love racing even when I do not win – even when I am last!
- I have an AMAZING Family that supports my racing – I think I had the BIGGEST cheer zone!
- I have got to get a good technical swim coach with a big EYE on me this year
- I have to pick up my knees when running and have quick steps
- Elite racers are fun to make friends with :)
- Say ‘Yes’ to the challenges presented on the run

Swim: 25:01
T1: 1:32
Bike: 1:14:10
T2: 0:30
Run: 39:10
TOTAL: 2:20:21

Complete Results Here

No comments:

Post a Comment