Monday, August 22, 2011

Honeymoon Hike replaces Apple Triathlon


The Master Plan
August 13th:
  • GET MARRIED
August 14th:
  •  :)
August 15th-18th:
  • SWIM & BIKE & RUN: total 6-7hrs
  • Swim at Jasper activity pool and Banff Fairmont hotel 50m pool
  • One road cycle
  • Early morning and/or late afternoon runs
  • Cross-training: Mtn Biking and Hiking
August 19th:
  • AQUATHON: 2.5K run-1K swim-2.5K run (in association with Apple Triathlon)
August 20th:
  • RACE PREP: 30min run drills & 1:15 quick interval course cycle; pick up race package and check-in bike at transition
  • Eat well and sleep well
August 21st:
  • 5:00 Transition Opens
  • 9:35 Race Start

The Real Deal
August 13th:
  • GOT MARRIED!!!
August 14th:
  •         :) :) :)
August 15th-18th:
  • Swam at Jasper activity pool (1:20); no road cycle; 3x runs
  • Mountain Biked (one fun afternoon)
  • Hiked Cascade Mountain in Banff: 3,000m; hiked an extra 5K loop (why? Too eager at the start); 1hr later we are on the right trail; 5hrs later Alex’s legs have died but we want to summit (the mountain); 6hrs we got to the top (no tears); 8.5 hrs later we are at the bottom and I have to drive because the mountain destroyed my husband’s legs; 16hrs later we wake up and each step is painful for both of us
August 19th:
  • AQUATHON: Yes, I still want to race it...but I will just use it as a warm-up (it is a really casual race)...but I am too competitive and I win...then Alex and I continue to shuffle around like old people.
  • ICE BATH
August 20th:
  • RACE PREP: 30min run drills & 25min ride my bike to transition; pick up race package (that they didn’t have for me) and check-in bike at transition
  • Both sets of parents and arrive and we eat bison and makes a new plan
August 21st:
  • 5:00 Transition Opens
  • 6:00 Alison wakes up
  • 6:15 Alison still does her run drills
  • 7:00 Alison has breakfast
  • 8:00 Alex has breakfast and we repack the car
  • 9:35 Race Start
  • 9:40 Alison and Alex cheer on the Women 20-24
  • 11:20 Alison and Alex meet their parents at the beach for family time and a swim in the Okanagan Lake 
I am very happy with the decision not to race.  I really wanted to race, but with a good pair of legs.  I don't need to race just to know I can finish.  I want to race to do well.  Looking at the results I should have been close to the overall podium if not on it.  Looking at the Elite Women results I have raced and beaten two of the women that competed which is very interesting...!

Cascade Mountain





1 comment:

  1. Great decision Alison! Rest is important too! And so is family.... and HUSBAND time! YAY!

    ReplyDelete