Thursday, January 15, 2015

The STANDARD Episode

     Again, I chose not to wear a wetsuit but I wish for this one I had one!  1500m in the pond, two hours earlier than the Sprint race, and on a rainy miserable day – the wetsuit would have made warmth and flotation benefits.

     The entire race felt strained and my body felt tight rather than relaxed (possibly tired from Friday’s Sprint race, possibly not dressed properly for the weather).  Still, on the bike I was able to catch and pass people especially on all the corners (triathletes cannot corner well…good thing I’m also a cyclist!).  When I got to the run I was still feeling tightness and couldn't seem to settle into a 36min 10km pace which I accomplished last year.

     It was really fun to get to see teammates out on the course racing and on the sidelines cheering!  I already had my win and taking 7th place in the Standard distance isn't so bad either.  Two years ago in Auckland I came 11th so I am happy that this is still an improvement.

*~Best Story of the Day~*
     After taking my bike out of transition, I had my Garmin in the pocket of my backpack.  I visited with teammates, tried the specialty ‘Draft Legal’ beer at the gardens and watched some more racing before I headed home.  At this point I noticed that I had lost my Garmin.  So I went looking.  When I arrived at the Lost and Found desk, with my Garmin serial number (which I just so happened to have in an email), I expected that whoever found the Garmin would decide to keep it – lucky find.  However, the clerk handed me my Garmin with a note on it!  The note said “Ride Fast” “Good luck – from Russia”.  Isn’t that so cool!  A Russian athlete turned in my Garmin!  So cool :)

Here are some pictures of the day, including the podium presentation at the closing ceremonies!

Swm - Bike - Run


Getting friendly with other Canadian athletes :)
Standing on top of the podium with the Canadian flag = A proud athlete
     That’s all for the triathlon season!  Next up, my final semester at Trinity Western University running my last cross country season and studying French! 

Yes, I am taking a French class, but no, I will not dress like this all the time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment