Saturday, January 25, 2014

Indoor Weekend 1 - 3000m

For the CIS Track & Field athlete, it is indoor season (which means running around tight ovals in a dry building).  Last weekend we were lucky enough to run on the 307m indoor track at the University of Washington (307m? Ya, we don't know why either).

Most of my teammates would agree that the first meet of the season is terrifying.  Will I best my PR (personal record)?  Did I remember my spikes? What pins should I use? 
Should I take a nap?
Did I eat too much breakfast?  Do I remember how to race?????  Yes, I thought these things before my season opener 3000m.  I was happy to get to run in the fastest heat of the weekend with my teammates Sarah and Regan as we were all going for the auto qualifying time to make Nationals.  Sarah took it out hard with the pros.  I ran even paced right on target, pulling Regan along all the way.  It felt steady and controlled (ha! I do remember how to race!)

Sarah got the auto.  I got the auto and Regan was less than a second off...except...then the times were converted from the 307m track to a 200m track and that put me off the auto by a second. (*sad face).  We were so close though and since I ran so controlled I'm looking forward to running 15sec faster than THAT next time! (At least THE coach thinks so!)  So thankful for team, and athletics, and sweating and TWU and God's grace!

Next up......Seattle Feb.1 - The Mile
(watch on flotrack.com) <---but you might need an account

Also don't forget about my trip to Uganda to race for Team Canada at the World University Cross-Country Championships!  I'm in need of some help to get there and I am raising $$ support through the CIS Adopt-an-Athlete program.  Check out my last blog for details on how to donate for a taxable receipt!!

Thanks All!

No comments:

Post a Comment